|Nickname||Hot-blooded karate man|
|Age||24 (PI), 25 (PI2')' 26 (Matrimelee) 27(Senzo Kuyou)|
|Birthdate||July 27, 1969|
|Height||178 cm (5' 10")|
|Weight||74 kg (163 lbs)|
|Attack specialty||Balanced attacks|
|Family||Tokuji Oyama (Father, deceased)|
Reiko Oyama (Mother)
Onabe Daiki (Boss)
Rin Oyama (Cousin)
Hatsue Oyama (Aunt)
- "How you use your fighting skills determines whether or not you win or lose the match."
Reiji Oyama (大山 礼児, Ōyama Reiji) is one of the characters designed for the series, making his first appearance in Power Instinct and has been a recurring character since.
He is somewhat of a parody of Ryu from the Street Fighter series. In this sense, he could also be considered a parody of the characters who are very much like Ryu in personality. Reiji was voiced by Seigo Aihara in the three first games and by Kijitani Toshiyuki in CR Goketsuji Ichizoku.
Reiji was designed to follow the traits of the typical Karate practicioner found in other fighting games. However, his personality is based on Hoshi Hyuuma from Kyojin no Hoshi (aka Star of the Giants), a 1966 baseball manga which had later got an anime adaptation two years later in 1968. Also in the first game of the series, the 1P cursor was placed over him when the character select screen had first appeared. Because of these factors, he was wrongly considered to being the main protagonist of the series when in actual truth the real main protagonists were the Goketsuji twins themselves. However, in some manga adaptations of the series, he is normally set as the hero of the story.
About Reiji Edit
Reiji is very straightforward and honest and is the ultimate training fanatic. He does not do well with minute details, but excels at physical strength matches. He works part-time for a construction company to exert his excess energy. He also constantly searches for a worthy opponent.
Reiji is one of the characters with more conections with others and by the in-game dialogues, seems to be popular between the female characters of the series, even above Sahad who is the the narcisist pretty boy type character of the series. Along the series he gained rivalry with Oume, who defeated him on th 16th Goketsuji Tournament. In Shin Goketsuji Ichizoku Toukon Matrimelee appeared the brothers Buntaro and Shintaro who idolize Reiji and in Matsuri Senzo Kuyou appeared Rin Oyama who is Reiji's cousin sister, according to the relation diagram from CR-Goketsuji Ichizoku, Reiji became mentor of the three teenagers and is training them, however the relation between his disciples is very bad.
Even though Reiji was absent in Groove on Fight, he had a significant cameo in Rudolph Gartheimer ending. Due to Reiji profile and personality, fans of the series has him as the possible father of Popura Hananokoji who is said to be in a training journey, also to reinforce that theory, in relation diagrams from the first games the connection between Reiji and Kurara is set as liking.
Participation Details Edit
- Power Instinct
Reiji's goal is to be as strong as his father was. Knowing about the lineage of martial arts of the Goketsuji family, Reiji is sure that he will find many worthy opponents and by facing them he will start his way to becoming a true warrior.
- Power Instinct 2
After a year of intense training, Reiji's muscles and height increased. Even his spiritual power seems to be stronger, so the tournament is the perfect opportunity to find out if he will be able to take advantage of his new attributes. As fruit of his discipline, not only has his previous attacks also have improved, but he has some new attacks to use against his opponents.
His boss Daikichi, was who helped Reiji to prepare for the 17th Goketsuji Tournament and using concepts from civil engineering taught him most of the new techniques that he the new tournament the most important was the Ryu kishou Enzan.
- Power Instinct Legends
Always looking for a good fight, Reiji signed in for the Goketsuji Friendly Exhibition Tournament to have the opportunity to fight against the one called "the strongest man in the world".
- Toukon Matrimelee
Reiji received an invitation to participate in a fighting tournament that is going to be held in a faraway country in which the prize is to get married with the princess of that Kingdom. Reiji decided to participate in the Matrimelee tournament. However his aim is not really the princess; he participates to test his Karate.
- Bonnou no Kaihou
One of Reiji's dreams is to produce a movie that shows the way he thinks a man should live. Participating in the Bonnou no Kaihou tournament, he will be closer to realize that dream!
- Senzo Kuyou
Reiji joined the Matsuri Senzo Kuyou tournament without even thinking about it. He is all about fighting, so a fist-to-fist encounter with the other combatants was enough to make him happy to join.
Special Moves Edit
- Gekishouhadouha (Violent Palm Moving Wave) - Reiji throws a ball of lightning at his opponent. In Matrimelee, it was made a fireball.
- Ryuenshou (Flying Dragon Punch) - Reiji goes flying into the air, executing a flaming two-punch uppercut attack, engulfing the opponent in blue flames, though the color was changed in Matrimelee. This attack can also be done while dashing.
- Raikoukyaku (Lightning Kick) - Reiji unleashes a barrage of lightning-fast kicks. This could also be done while dashing. In Power Instinct Legends, if one taps the button for a long enough time, he will periodically throw fireballs from his legs.
- Shouenbu (Dragon Dive Attack) - Reiji comes flying down with a deadly flaming kick from midair. Since Power Instinct 2, he swings an additional kick when the initial attack connects.
- Omae Nanka Kouja - Reiji executes an elbow drop on the opponent, then can come back up with a deadly kick with both legs. This special move was a chain command move in Power Instinct Legends, and was made a command attack in Matrimelee.
- Koga Rengeki (Tiger Fang Violent Attack) - Reiji grabs his opponent, then flips over with them to where he lands on top of his foe, and repeatedly punches them in the face. This was originally a throw in Power Instinct 2 and Power Instinct Legends, but was then made into a special move in Matrimelee.
- Ryu Kishou Enzan (Dragon's Rising Flames Slice) - Reiji rushes the opponent and unleashes a wild combo of attacks, finishing the opponent with a Ryu En Shou. This was somewhat changed to a dramatically different move in Matrimelee.
- Geki Ko Sho Shou (Violent Tiger Rising Palm) - Reiji powers up and slams a karate chop into the ground, making a blast in the shape of a tiger rise out for massive close-range damage. It is an unblockable attack.
Music Themes Edit
- Otoko no Karatemichi (Way of the Karate Man) - Power Instinct
- Otoko no Karatemichi: Part II (Way of the Karate Man: Part II) - Power Instinct 2
- Otoko no Karatemichi: Yakyuu Ouenfuu (Way of the Karate Man: Baseball Version) - Power Instinct Legends
- The No-Money Ranger - Matrimelee / Bonnou no Kaihou
- Otoko no Karatemichi: Kanzen Ban(Way of the Karate Man: Complete) - Senzo Kuyou
Related Characters Edit
- Buntaro and Shintaro Kuno: Both are admirers and disciples of Reiji.
- Rin Oyama: Cousin
- Keith Wayne: Friendly Rivalry
- Kurara Hananokoji: Liking
- Kuroko: Good Friend (usually coaches Reiji)
- Annie Hamilton: They share confidence in each other.
- Daikichi Oninabe: Reiji's boss at the construction company
- Power Instinct
- Power Instinct 2
- Power Instinct Legends
- Groove On Fight - Cameo
- Power Instinct Matrimelee
- Shin Goketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou no Kaihou
- Goketsuji Ichizoku Matsuri Senzo Kuyou
- CR Goketsuji Ichizoku
In The King Of Fighters '94, Rugal (the final boss) has a collection of statues of his defeated foes. One of the statues looks like Reiji performing the Raikoukyaku. It is possible that this was a stab at Atlus from SNK.